Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sometimes only one road will do.

So staying in Cleveland one more night turned out to be a damn good choice. With a massive storm coming up the coast I missed riding through it by delaying departure. The road which seem to be the best selection was route 322. Running from Cleveland to Philadelphia. I got into Clarion Pa that evening from leaving Cleveland around noon. It turn out the college town had a carnival that night and that brought on the strange looks as I came riding through. Not feeling there was going to be a spot to camp out at, I was once more on the bike in search of a spot. I came upon a spot in a town called Corsica Pa. Now at this point I've gotten pretty good at setting up the tent in the dark. And since it was quite chilly out I was in the sleeping bag and sleeping by 21:00. The next day I was on the road early, I had 310 miles to go and knew it would take most of the day. Just outside of State College I had my first scary moment of the trip. Now I ran out of the gallon of two stroke oil I started with and bought a quart of two stroke oil you find in a car parts store. Mixing two different oils isn't really that good. The second oil takes some time to lubricate the parts. While I was coming down a hill the back wheel locked up and I started to fish tail left an right before I grabbed the clutch and coasted to a stop. With the amount of weight on the bike, I'm amazed I didn't crash. I change the gearbox oil giving the bike time to cool down. Kicked over the bike and a sign of relief came over me. So once more I was back on the road and with in a few miles the back wheel lock up again. I thought let me get to State College and I'll let it cool down for 90 minutes. After the bike sat for a bit, I thought, am I really going to make Philly today? So once more the bike started up and I roded in a bit of tension the rest of the way. Riding through 322 from State College to Harrisburg was a major highway and the thought of "don't be breaking down on me now" came in my head more then once. Got into Philly around 21:00. After riding for 10 hours I was pooped. But there was a rally tonight, no time for being tired. So I met up with a friend and loaded more things on the bike. And Jordana and I were riding to a friend of a friends place to crash. But not before we headed to New Jersey. So heading through Philly and taking a wrong turn can land you on the Ben Franklin bridge and $4.00 cheaper. New Jersey will let you in for nothing, but it gonna cost yea to leave. So after that journey we made it to our place to stay. But then it was rally time.

1 comment: